Re: Vista? Vista? We don't need no stinkin' Vista! (not even for eye candy)

  • Subject: Re: Vista? Vista? We don't need no stinkin' Vista! (not even for eye candy)
  • From: thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 05:54:39 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Sender: tdphette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pretty cool stuff, isn't it. Got compiz working on my laptop. The whole
> rotoating cube with background thing is amazing, but I like the
> plane-and-slide option for switching desktops, too (more practical I think).
>
> Having tried both beryl and compiz, I can't decide which I prefer, though
> they're pretty close in terms of effects. How anyone can say Vista's Aero
> Glassis superior, I don't know.

I'm not one for eye candy but I tried Beryl just for the fun of
it and was impressed.  You are right.  Windows Vista is lame by
comparison.  The other day I showed a friend my Ubuntu system
running Beryl, walked him through the point and click Add/Remove
Applications screen and demonstrated how I could select and
install a batch of apps all in one go including all dependencies.
He was floored, particularly when I told him it was free.  He
insisted I burn him a CD before he would leave.  As icing on the
cake I played two simultaneous videos while burning the CD (he
had complained about his XP system screwing up burns if pushed
to hard).  He plays a few windows games so I'm not sure he will
actually move completely... but I can tell he REALLY wants to.

The truth is, most Windows users are not loyal to Windows, they
are loyal to applications that run on Windows.  As popular
applications or suitable replacements become more available on
Linux, the impediments to migration evaporate.  Linux now provides
a better user experience than Windows.  Period.  I've seen too
many people wowed by it to think otherwise.  I've heard too many
complaints about Windows crashes and malware.  It all comes down
to applications, and the apps are arriving at an ever increasing
rate.

Is that a tipping point we just wooshed passed?  :)

Thad