[News] Microsoft Violent Ad Banned in the UK

UK advertising authority nixes Xbox 360 spot

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK's Advertising Standards Authority, an industry self-policing
| group, has ruled that an ad for Microsoft's Xbox 360 is out of
| bounds and can't be aired there again.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/113551.asp

This answer's [H]omer's question:

,----[ [H]omer: ]
| Initially I had no idea what this story was about [confused], until I
| watched the GooTube video, and realised that apparently Microsoft had
| commissioned some sort of "Lets-pretend: Cowboys and Indians" advert for
| their eX-b0rks.
|
| > http://www.onthexbox.com/news981.html
|
| Since I don't own an eX-b0rks, and never will, and also since I usually
| manage to successfully avoid all advertising on all mediums, I had never
| seen this advert until now.
|
| Frankly, I think it highly irresponsible, and I'd be very surprised if
| the ITC approved it for transmission in the UK. They've banned unsavoury
| adverts from Microsoft before:
|
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/new_media/2028725.stm
|
| Like I said, I avoid advertising like the plague, so maybe someone can
| enlighten me as to whether this gun-mania advert was ever shown in the
| UK.
|
| > Mafia culture?
|
| I don't think this is uniquely Microsoft trait. America just has a
| particularly lax attitude towards firearms, and their irresponsible
| advertising reflects that.
|
| I'm sure there are those who believe this is just a storm in a teacup,
| but promoting firearms, even in a juvenile "lets-pretend" fashion (in
| fact especially in a juvenile "lets-pretend" fashion) is exactly the
| kind of thing that ultimately leads to the kinds of gun violence we see
| all over America, with particular reference to schools.
|
| Like I said, I don't know if this advert was ever shown in the UK, or
| even ever intended to be shown over here, but American companies, and
| American advertisers, need to bear in mind, that not every country in
| the world is filled with gun-toting maniacs, and we don't all aspire to
| going around killing everyone.

Viral Marketing Leads to Mock Gunfight

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest in a series of attempts around the world to mimic the
| segment that, according to media analysts, amounts to free "viral
| advertising" for Microsoft Corp.
|
| The latest incident took place on Tuesday in the cafeteria at
| South Carleton High School when a crowd of students shot finger
| guns at one another and feigned death by either falling or
| slumping to the ground.
`----

http://www.onthexbox.com/news981.html

WhatsWrongWithU

,----[ Quote ]
| The site is targetted to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea, with an
| abrasive attempt at in your face attitude. However, one has to
| wonder if the whole thing will come off as more than a little insulting.
`----

http://www.armchairempire.com/News/?p=187

Those Microsoft Vista ads are really bizarre

,----[ Quote ]
| I know that Martin is a spokesman for the product, and he even
| starred in some of the spots, but they were very confusing and
| offputting, especially if you tuned into the special halfway
| through and didn't hear anything about Microsoft Vista.
|
| Actually, the whole idea behind the ads makes me think someone
| at the ad agency or Microsoft is a Lost fan. The old guy in
| charge of an odd secret organizations (The Institute For
| Advanced Personhood), telling you to go to a site that will
| help you get rid of your clutter, the retro look of the spots,
| the use of old footage and computers. Very Hanso-ish, very viral.
| But I wonder if they're too odd to be successful?
`----

http://www.adjab.com/2007/01/15/those-microsoft-vista-ads-are-really-bizarre/

Microsoft Project origami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqVszfrB_VI&eurl=

Microsoft's mystery game is Vista promo

,----[ Quote ]
| A mysterious online countdown. USB drives containing cipher keys.
| Notes and videos from a woman who calls herself Loki. Bloggers'
| reports of extravagant gifts, marked with a return address for
| Microsoft's headquarters.
|
| And all trails leading to a Web site for something called
| Vanishing Point.
|
| After weeks of sifting through clues, bloggers, gamers and
| technology enthusiasts got some relief this week when
| Microsoft Corp. revealed that Vanishing Point is part of a
| viral-marketing campaign for Vista, the new PC operating
| system set for a consumer launch later this month.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070109/ap_on_hi_te/gadget_show_vista_promotion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictitious_company_names_used_by_Microsoft

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately Origami is a classic example of how a viral buzz can
| work against a product release. Expectations were too high and the
| final product was puzzling and didn't fulfill any specific consumer
| demand. By the time the systems were actually released the hype had
| died down and there was practically zero consumer awareness. I've
| actually considered the possibility that the viral Origami campaign
| was a warm-up for the Zune campaign that followed later in the summer.
`----

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/hardware/whatever-happened-to-the-origami/

Notable examples of viral marketing

,----[ Quote ]
| # ilovebees.com - viral marketing for Halo 2
| # Hotmail, promoted largely by links at the bottoms of emails sent by
| its users, is the classic viral marketing example
| # Microsoft's Origami Project campaign
| # Microsoft's Xbox 360 campaign, called OurColony
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

Has Demetri Martin Jumped the Shark by Getting Into Bed with Microsoft?
Clarification on "Clearification" Marketing Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| When I first saw the Clearification website, I just thought it was
| Demetri's new project. But I did wonder why the videos were of such
| high production value. Turns out that Microsoft is footing the bill
| to not only this site, but are also underwritting his current tour.
`----

http://www.themodernage.org/2006/11/12/demetri-martin-bring-clearification-to-the-web/

Stop Digital Amnesia: 'Quattro' Home Server viral campaign?

,----[ Quote ]
| Another day, another Microsoft viral campaign. This time, The fake
| Center for Digital Amnesia Awareness has launched an online campaign called
| "Stop Digital Amnesia" (via Furrygoat) - a medical-like project
| discussing the problems and solution for a made-up disorder called
| "digital amnesia".
`----

http://www.istartedsomething.com.nyud.net:8080/20061225/stop-digital-amnesia/

Microsoft and AMD club together for space-flight ticket

,----[ Quote ]
| The details of the competition have been slipping slowly out over the
| last few weeks, for maximum affect, with clues sent out to bloggers
| unannounced and various events scheduled to form part of the
| puzzles.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/ms_amd_space_flight/

Bill Gates: "Show us your Wow and win a trip around the world"

,----[ Quote ]
| You're not doing this in vain though. Microsoft promises to offer
| a Vista Ultimate PC in every country/region as a prize for the best
| Wow, and from the all submissions, the best Wow-er will receive a
| high definition video camera, AND a seven-days trip around the world
| to see the most stunning vistas, including Sydney's Harbor Bridge and
| Opera House, Beijing's Great Wall, Agra's Taj Mahal, New York?s
| Empire State Building and Paris? Eiffel Tower.
`----

http://www.our-picks.com/archives/2007/01/08/bill-gates-show-us-your-wow-and-win-a-trip-around-the-world/
http://tinyurl.com/wampr

Seattle Area Bloggers Needed for Microsoft User Research Study

,----[ Quote ]
| For your participation, we'll give you your choice of retail
| software and hardware from our extensive list. Current titles
| include the latest Xbox, Xbox 360, and PC games, keyboards,
| Microsoft Office, Windows, productivity software and much more.
`----

http://blogs.msdn.com/usability_recruiting/archive/2007/01/05/seattle-area-bloggers-needed-for-microsoft-user-research-study.aspx

Bloggers meet Mr. Bill (Gates)

,----[ Quote ]
| That meeting is to help Web developers understand how to "unlock new
| revenue opportunities" through technology and content, which could
| include podcasts and blogs. The Microsoft sessions wraps up with a
| one-hour q-and-a up with Bill Gates.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7BD18F3BC9%2DF59E%2D4DB4%2DB978%2DD4651079E274%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/yjaseg

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
| bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
| of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
| behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
|
| [...]
|
| Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
| Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
| Premium Ultra-Capable.

Microsoft's Laptop Giveaway Becoming PR Disaster?

,----[ Quote ]
| This thing is starting to feel like a PR disaster. Bloggers are
| starting to smell blood and this thing very well may begin to
| turn into yet another episode of bloggers gone wild.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061228/23174_id.html?.v=1

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Now Microsoft Wants Its Laptop Back

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and AMD sent out a pile of very expensive (yet trashy
| looking) laptops to a number of bloggers over the past week. We
| were told we could keep them - now after a day of minor outrage
| by some people they are emailing us back with the following
| request that we not keep them after all!
`----

http://marshallk.com/microsoft-wants-its-laptops-back

Microsoft Sent A Free Laptop With Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm not sure how I was selected to be one of the people receiving this
| (I'm assuming there are others, but I haven't come across any yet).
| It could be that they are reaching out to bloggers who are Mac users
| (I switched to a Mac back when OS X came out) or it might just be that
| people I know who work for Microsoft or other influential bloggers
| recommended me
`----

http://laughingsquid.com/microsoft-sent-a-free-laptop-with-windows-vista/

Windows Live OneCare competition

,----[ Quote ]
| How to enter:
|
| You have from now until 25th December to post on your own blog about
| why you'd like Santa to visit you, and then tag it with "Windows Live
| OneCare Competition". Only posts appearing on this technorati page or
| that trackback to this post will be considered as entries. From
| these we'll select 5 winners at random.
`----

http://liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2006/12/20/windows-live-onecare-competition.aspx

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html