Re: [News] Linux and CDDL Licences Keep ZFS Away

> Linux: ZFS, Licenses and Patents
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A recent discussion on the lkml examined the possibility of a
> | Linux implementation of Sun's ZFS. It was pointed out that the
> | file system is released under the GPL-incompatible CDDL, and
> | that Sun has filed numerous patents to prevent ZFS from being
> | reverse engineered.
> `----
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/8066

"By the way, forget about this FUSE business. I don't know why they're
bothering: It's not real, it's slow and, in general, silly."

As I suspected, the FUSE implementation [1] is a non-starter. Google
won't be pleased.

Sun, please just kill the CDDL, drop your anti-GPL garbage, or go away.

[1] http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 18:46:59 up 3 days, 16:19,  3 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.71, 0.63