Re: Vista so unpopular that Dell reinstates the XP option

  • Subject: Re: Vista so unpopular that Dell reinstates the XP option
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:20:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verily I say unto thee, that B'ichela spake thusly:
> In article <33652690.WB5gV0teIo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> *LOL*

>> It's like shutting the fridge, locking it for good and leaving a bunch of
>> baked beans cans all over the floor. Sooner or later the residents will move
>> to a different house, or try the hotel (Linux).
>>

> Huh?
> 	It must be a guy thing.... This  woman certainly does not get
> it, Anyone got an anology I DO understand?

It's a student halls of residence (frat house) thing.

Wait, I'll just call my lass.

OK, Honey-Buns says, it's like when you go shopping for clothes, but
this season's fashions are so dorky that nobody wants them. The
customers begin chanting for better fashions, and start a riot where
chairs are thrown at the staff. So to avoid going bankrupt (and to save
further damage to their chairs), they reluctantly bring back last year's
fashions from the warehouse, that were destined for Mexican pig farmers.

However, the clothes suppliers are no longer producing new stock of last
year's fashions, so once the supplies in the retailer's warehouses dry
up, that's it, and women the world over will be forced to dress like
Mexican pig farmers, never get another date, and be relegated to a life
of throwing chairs at clothes store staff.

Meanwhile, a short drive away, there is a shop selling clothes for next
to nothing, made by young, aspiring fashion designers; to help pay their
way through college.

Since these designers don't have a huge marketing machine promoting
them, (unlike the big labels), they are completely unknown in the Haute
Couture industry, and hence practically give their designs away, as a
means of building a reputation (and making a small amount of money).

The irony is, that many of these designs are actually fantastic, and put
the big label designs to shame, but because the typical consumer has
been brainwashed by marketing into thinking that "if it ain't big label,
then it must be rubbish", this little corner shop has far fewer customers.

This smaller "market share" further perpetuates the misconception that
these small outlets must therefore produce sub-standard fashions, since
fewer people buy their products. A nasty catch22, eagerly exploited by
the big labels, who would stand to lose market share if the truth were
known and widely accepted.

However, there's an elite group of cool chicks, with the smarts to know
that these small label designs are actually the best, and consequently
these chicks are the best dressed chicks around. Whenever other girls
see them dressed up in their trendy threads, these hip chicks take the
opportunity to advocate the benefits of these designs, and so the truth
spreads slowly by word of mouth, and every day, fewer and fewer chicks
need to dress like Mexican pig farmers (or throw chairs).

They don't need to worry if this year's big label designs are crap or
not, since they get to wear bleeding edge fashion designed by those
fresh young designers who are passionate about what they do, rather than
big labels motivated by the cretinous decisions of men in grey suits,
who sit around in musty boardrooms peering at pie charts all day,
plotting how to "fscking kill the amateur designers".

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 15:18:49 up 3 days, 12:50,  3 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.35, 0.44