Re: [News] Australia Sports Channels Powered by GNU/Linux

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 20 April 2007 01:34 \__

>> SGI Enables Fox Sports Australia to Meet Increased Bandwidth Demands of
>> Two New 24/7 Channels
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "We chose SGI XE clusters because SGI was one of the first to come out
>> | with the new dual-core machines, and SGI works well with Linux,
>> | which is important because Ardendo runs on Linux," said Michael
>> | Day, Chief Engineer, Premier Media Group, Australia.
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070418/aqw013.html?.v=13
>
> There seems to be a marked increase in the use of Linux in broadcasting,
> or is it just the *exposure* that's increasing?
>
> Maybe I should start mailing these links to the Beeb, and give them a
> free Clue.

The issue with Linux in every space is that there's no motive for
advertising. You see, additionally, if Red Hat advertises Linux, it also
helps Linux rivals. Compare that with one consistent titan that delivers
pamphlet about integrated, 'people-ready' solutions. SGI/RHT/NOVL/ORCL can
all contribute to Linux, putting thousands of devs on the project. They
compete with just a tiny team at Microsoft, but it has an advertising
budget. This explains the poor products that often comes from Microsoft,
sold for a higher price. The other day, someone who worked on the Nokia N800
told me that it's easy to make a Linux product, but harder to /sell/ it.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
Tasks: 119 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie