Re: [News] Even Microsoft Employees Cannot Use Windows Vista to Pay Tax

  • Subject: Re: [News] Even Microsoft Employees Cannot Use Windows Vista to Pay Tax
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:13:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

<snip>
> I'm referring to Microsoft's tendency to get their hands in every
> pot..I'm talking about things like Zune and Xbox and all the other
> deviations from actually producing good solid operating systems.
> This company is spread too thin and they're losing control. They need
> to scale down, get back to the business of software and get back
> in touch with their customers.

I would be very happy if they aimed to do that.  The desktop is almost
dead, they've been unsuccessful in any other market, and Linux is coming
along to clean up the remains of the desktop market anyway.  In my view,
it is essential for Microsoft that they gain some kind of traction in
some other market.  So far, however, their efforts have not been hugely
successful, although with their pockets being as deep as they are, I do
not doubt that they will, in due course, find some new space in which
they can make money.

The second issue is whether they can change their internal culture
rapidly enough - not so sure about how practicable that goal really
would be.