Re: Intel Scared of Microsoft, Fear Affects Linux Adoption

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 18 April 2007 14:43 \__

> On Apr 18, 5:58 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Intel Seen Using China Forum to Detail Plans on Hand-Helds
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | That software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
>> | is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
>> | The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
>> | the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
>> | has said it is supporting both operating systems.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=117756000...
>>

> Microsoft's hold over Intel may be less than at any time in the past.
> On the other hand, all the chip manufacturers stand to gain if the
> world is forced to upgrade to Vista, with its heavy hardware
> requirements.  Today's NYT carries an article saying that Intel's
> profit is up in the first quarter.  I thought it might be because of
> Vista sales.  Apparently not:  Intel "said that first-quarter profit
> rose 19 percent partly as a result of a one-time tax benefit and the
> company's move to a more efficient production process, while sales
> fell slightly."  No mention of Vista at all, and, in fact, sales are
> down.  Of course that could mean that most Vista sales are going to
> AMD, or it could mean that Vista sales are so small they don't make a
> blip.   Someone (Bailo?) on this newsgroup commented a few days ago
> that Vista might actually be hurting new computer sales, and in fact
> that makes sense.

You sort of beat me to it. I /did/ see Intel's figures as well and they
suggest that the Vista'sa promised and foreseen 'bloom' is nothing but
decreased sales. It's a PR bubble. Since AMD has been doing badly recently,
I doubt they are the reason behind Intel's decline (the tax issue goes back
a month or so ago when I wrote about it). I don't think AMD gained. Samsung
(mainly for chip/memory) and the stores express similar concerns.

When people are faced with the option of buying a /more pricey/ computer
which have the scary Vista tag (people do talk) they just wait and watch.
Ubuntu 7.04 is out tomorrow. Make some buzz. :-)

--
                ~~ With kind regards

In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??
roy      pts/4                         Wed Apr 18 07:59 - 07:59  (00:00)