Re: Powerpoint and Linux

__/ [ Robert Newson ] on Monday 16 April 2007 20:27 \__

> Default@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> OK, Vista is the last straw and I'm not a Mac, so I'm thinking about
>> moving to Linux. But...
>>
>> I need powerpoint. Love it or hate it, despite all its flaws and
>> shortcomings it is the de facto standard academic presentation
>> package. When you show up anywhere to make a presentation, you are
>> expected to have a powerpoint show on your flash drive. Your
>> organizers or hosts are set up for powerpoint, use it themselves, and
>> are simply not capable of accommodating anything else. Obviously, we
>> are not talking about computer science here.
>>
>> Can it be done? I've seen lots of "can I show ppt in linux?"
>> discussed, but little on "can I create ppt in linux?"
>
> OpenOffice.org 2.0 seems to do quite a good job...I don't have access to
> powerpoint via any other method and ppt's that have been sent to me it has
> handled.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org
>
> [Best bit is OO.org is available on Linux, Windwos...learn it once and
> whatever OS you use, you can use it!]

Seconded.

...Even worked with Office 2003 macros when I last used it. Flawless
collaboration between me and others, all under Linux. Slides looked and
behaved in an identical fhashion on both ends. With the worldwide adoption
of OpenDocument (and ODP), Presenter is the place to be. You will also be
able to access your work many years down the line.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Network traffic is  being polluted by SPAM. Help the Internet. Adopt *nix.
 12:00am  up 1 day 23:28,  5 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.61, 0.87