Re: [News] Vista ReadyBoost Might Do More Harm Than Good

__/ [ Linonut ] on Sunday 15 April 2007 15:11 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5366
>>
>> Vista has been more damaging to Microsoft than Windows ME. Oh, dear.
>
> Objection!  Witness rendering an opinion!
>
>    Steve wrote:
>
>    Our company recently purchased new computers from Dell, the hardware
>    was much faster than our 'old' computers running XP.
>
>    Vista boot - is appalling atleast 2 minutes (longer) than the 30
>    seconds XP takes.
>
>    Quite a few application are not compatible - or worse partly
>    compatible.
>
>    Copy / Move / Delete of files is so slow we ended up burning DVD's
>    than copying across our very fast gigabit network.
>
>    . . .
>
>    Windows Media Player 11 - crashes regularly.
>    IE7 - locks up every couple of hours.
>    On heavy usage we were rebooting - all our Vista machines an average
>    of 3 hours.
>    The Backup/Restore feature did not work.
>    The Computer - Computer transfer did not work and crashed the Vista
>    machine constantly.
>
>    Eventually we had our machines replaced and we have just installed XP
>    on them. It works perfectly ok and we can now copy files at normal
>    rates. (we have also dual booted them with Linux)
>
> Overruled!

Linux? That's not good for anyone, is it? Does it mean they want to give up
on Windows altogether (perhaps in the long term)?

One thing I came to realise is that people look at (or will inevitable look
at) Windows Vista and say "this is it!". This /is/ the future of the Windows
path, whether we like it or not. Microsoft is already turning up the heat on
Windows XP users. There's no "Reduced-DRM Edition of Vista" or "XP Enhanced
Edition". There's no real choice. At this stage, it's the Vista trap, from
which there's no escape (more lockins, DRM, cost and so forth) or something
else. People are starting to clear up the space and open a spare lane,
evaluating other, alternative routes. They keep their options open, if not
altogether reject Windows and immediately migrate. This includes government
agencies in America (FAA are assessing GNU/Linux). The new machines around
our Division are apparently dual-boot now. Dell with Opensuse. People are
invited to migrate at their own time and convenience.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Is it a stupid sig? Why yes it is!
Tasks: 105 total,   1 running, 102 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie