Re: [News] Firefox Market Share Keeps Improving, Growing, Sets Roadmap

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 30 April 2007 13:10 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Mozilla ramps up Firefox 3 schedule
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Firefox 3, which Mozilla has said should appear in final form in the
>> | last quarter of the year, will feature a completely-revamped bookmarking
>> | system, new identity management tools and support for off-line Web
>> | applications. The redesigned bookmarks, dubbed Places, will debut in
>> | Alpha 5, which is due to roll out May 31.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2079437012&rid=-50
>>
>> With Web-based software, the Web browser becomes the core for
>> applications. O/S detects hardware and launches the Web browser, browser
>> then does the rest. With offline access support, browser technology will
>> become very sophisticated. It could achieve and cover everything over
>> broadband, including media.
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Safari Drops, Firefox Gains in March

>> | Microsoft's Internet Explorer continues to lose ground to Safari and
>> | Firefox, and dropped to a new all time low in March with 78.57 percent
>> | of the browser market. Internet Explorer dropped below 80 percent in
>> | December 2006, and has not been able to recover.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/04/05.4.shtml
>
> This doesn't surprise me, when I put users onto Firefox within a very short
> time they are hooked. It is very rare that you spot them going back to IE.
> I did put some onto Opera, my own prefered browser, but despite the
> similarities in normal use it seems to be Firefox that have got the
> situation sussed because that is the one that they drift back to.
>
> So now when I have to give a user a new PC then I just put FF on straight
> away, make it the default and remove the desktop shortcut and wuick link to
> IE. I am not really sure if IE can be removed entirely so I haven't tried.

It's the file manager as well, so this is not possible. See the reason for
this (in video):

http://www.youtube.com/v/0qNVe024RvI

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S