Re: [News] Linux Has GPU Parity wrt Windows

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Sunday 29 April 2007 16:24 \__

> [snips]

>> Nope.
>> The networking and hard disk performance for a windopz preloaded machine
>> is second rate. Also too many API calls in between servicing gaming API
>> calls. Your gaming experience will suck if you had
>> to play using a PC preloaded with any kind of microsuck software.
>
> While that may all be true, it is also completely irrelevant to the point,
> the gist of which seems to be "The days where Linux video drivers sucked
> are ending."

Exactly.

> It didn't even mention gaming, disks and the like; it was solely about how
> the card - and of necessity, the driver - perform.

If one sticks with NVidia (and wait for the Open Source driver, which is an
ambitious effort), then the future looks bright. It's all about selecting
the right hardware for the system that's fully compatible and offers good
performance. An E-mail I received last week seems to suggest that, given
enough pressure, AMD will get ATI into shape. As it stands, the board of
Canonical is still discussing whether to enable eye candy by default in
Gutsy Gibbon. It's AMD's fault.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Linux is like a girlfriend; try to stick to one distribution for a lifetime
 11:00pm  up 1 day  7:15,  3 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.10, 0.75