Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Elite' XBox Won't Add Much Value; Nintendo Increases Wii Production Pace

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Elite' XBox Won't Add Much Value; Nintendo Increases Wii Production Pace
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 06:39:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Xbox 360 Elite vs. classic: the test
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Basically, unless you are seriously eagle-eyed, have a massive
> | friggin screen, or for whatever reason need to use HDMI because
> | you're all out of component inputs, your investment in the
> | first-gen Xbox 360 is probably safe.
> `----
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/xbox-360-elite-vs-classic-the-test/

Well at least they've had a chance to improve the horrendous noise these
beasts make, right?

.----
| We know how much you all wanted your Xbox 360 Elite to quiet down a
| bit, but we have some bad news for ya. As we heard from our sources
| who supplied us with much of our info about the Elite, unfortunately
| the noise level is about the same as before. It doesn't use the new
| 65nm chips, so it seems to require the same number of case fans.
|
| The same is true of the disc drive. Our Elite and classic drives do
| sound different, and it's obvious they're not the same make or model.
| However, unfortunately, they're equally loud. Sorry guys, you're
| still going to have to put up with the same level of noise as before
| -- don't come looking to the Elite for something that sounds less
| like a shop-vac.
`----

 ... er no, apparently.

Oh, but what about the Red Ring of Death inducing overheating problems,
they have managed to solve the nuclear meltdown issue, haven't they?

.----
| As we said before, these are using the old round of 90nm chips, not
| the 65nm variety. So it goes without saying that using the same chips
| as before, these things are going to produce the same amount of heat.
| We didn't run an 18 hour stress test or anything (obviously), but
| both units did feel about the same after an hour of playing games and
| movies, and they both felt like they were outputting about the same
| amount of heat.
`----

 ... er no. Oh well ... bring back out out the liquid nitrogen, boys,
yer gonna need it.

Surely there *must* be *some* redeeming factor to these new in-no-vative
consoles? Surely the "HDMI" label *alone* is enough to earn it that
highly coveted Elite status, and the audio will undoubtedly benefit
from exciting next generation features like Dolby TrueHDÂ, right?

.----
| HDMI 1080p vs component 1080p/i
| We're going to be totally honest here, we hardly noticed a damn
| difference at all.

| Audio
| We can now definitely confirm that despite its HDMI output, the Xbox
| 360 Elite still doesn't enable advanced codec support (like Dolby
| TrueHD).
`----

 ... er no. Again.

Sorry, but did I miss the part that's "EliteÂ"?

Maybe it's Elite because it doesn't *eat* the discs any more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQYkaXv8RU

> Losses of over $0.3 billion in the last quarter alone, IIRC.

Really? I'm shocked.

That little.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 06:38:01 up 11 days,  4:10,  4 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.28, 0.27