Re: fxxk HP (all divisions) ..

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 24 April 2007 19:15 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:33:11 +0100
> <2016120.SPn032MBf1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Monday 23 April 2007 15:44 \__
>>
>>> From: johnfi; Wed Mar 14 11:18:49 1990
>>> To: RichAab; RussW; SherryR; c-JanetC
>>> Subject: H-P New Wave
>>> Date: Wed Mar 14 10:56:42 1990
>>>
>>> A few issues ... Got a call from Gary Perez (our OEM HP Acct Mgr) this
>>> morning. They are telling HP that they wil NOT be part of this launch
>>> and that BillG has said "fxxk HP (all divisions) if they won't sign a
>>> Windows license."
>>
>> But... but... but... he's *SUCH* a nice man.
>>
>> (and Microsoft never pressures OEMs into preinstalling Windows)
>>

> I'll admit "pressure" may not be quite the word here;
> Microsoft's alleged machinations were more subtle
> than that.  AIUI, Dell et al work on razor-thin profit
> margins; anything that gives them a profit in a cutthroat
> marketplace is preferable.  Since Dell is selling mostly
> Windows PCs, a 10% discount on their licensing would
> be very nice for them, and of course if, say, 99%+
> of their PCs are Windows, they can easily eat the 1%
> of the desktops that don't really need it, giving them a
> maybe 4%-5% advantage (if one assumes Windows was $100,
> and the unit price was about $500).
>
> At least, thus goes the logic back then (and my understanding
> thereof) when these were in effect.
>
> (The numbers are ad hoc, admittedly.  Nowadays Linux is
> more like 5%, though I'm not sure exactly what spread
> Dell has.  I'm pretty sure System76 has 0% Windows, 100%
> Linux. :-) )
>
> It's an interesting way of manipulating the market -- and
> it did work after a fashion.  I don't know how legal it is.

Intel did the same thing.

Henri Richard: AMD's bad guy

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Richard, at a
| breakfast meeting, did his duty again. He said the Intel Inside
| program and other marketing promotions Intel has used over the
| years have killed profitability for PC makers.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-13053_3-6148717.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/yf475k

The companies seem to think alike.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
Cpu(s):  22.3% user,   2.9% system,   0.7% nice,  74.1% idle