Re: [News] DirectX 10 Could Come to GNU/Linux

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 23 April 2007 21:56 \__

>> Hacked DX10 for Windows appears
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A chap called Cody Brocious from San Diego, California, claims to
>> | have started to create an wrapper for Windows executables so that
>> | they can be ran on another operating system, with no prejudice
>> | about that operating system.
>> |
>> | A year in, the Alky Project has gone live under the cover of a
>> | company Falling Leaf Systems. Members of its Sapling Program will
>> | be able to get the wrappers for DirectX10 applications and run
>> | them not just on DX10 hardware under Windows XP, but with some
>> | DX9 hardware as well.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39095
>
> Check out the video:
>
> http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8021670504258293685&hl=en

A little underwhelming, having seen some nice stuff that is 'Cell class'. How
about that real-time ray tracing with 3 PS3s? As for DX10 hype, Microsoft
uses some promotional comparative images to accentuate the differences. It's
all about marketing at the end of the day. It's just like commercials for
some magic little tablet that fixes your dishwasher, with a split at the
middle down the screen, a filthy image on one side and heaven's blue on
another.

>> There was another COLA post about this last week. DX10 is used as a teaser
>> to sell Vista, but this can actually work just fine under XP. Another
>> example of encouraging/forcing the customer to unnecessarily upgrade (and
>> get more 'goodies' like DRM).
>
> If it is simply the case that DX10 games are dependant on DX10
> compatible hardware, then why the hell can't there be a DX10 framework
> and drivers released for XP?
>
> Seems like a scam to me, designed, as you say, to round up consumers
> (sheep) into a DRM pen.
>
> And this software pretty much proves it.
>
> Microsoft have lost yet another Vista "edge". Not that they had many to
> begin with. In fact apart from DX10 and flippy windows, the only other
> leverage they have left, is forced obsolescence (XP on death row).

Games compatibility, as I stress often, is Vista's last nail on the coffin.
Linux runs more games than Windows (Vista and successors). Thank goodness
for Wine and Cedega. I can now say to XP gamers that they would /SAVE/ their
games by moving to GNU/Linux. Guess what? A few hours ago a colleague who is
a long-time Microsoft fan said he would move to/try GNU/Linux. He has been
asking me technical questions for a while. The world has gone mad! People
have finally gotten curious about alternatives, owing to the dreadful dea
end called "Vista".

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
Swap:  1036184k total,   338424k used,   697760k free,    54168k cached