[News] Linux Praised, Vista Trashed in PCWorld Letters

Letters to PC World, June 2007 - Which Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| To replace my old machine that was running XP, I bought a new HP
| Slimline with Vista. It took a quite a bit of time to set it up and
| get the software working. Even with the latest processor and 1GB of
| memory, the PC was no faster than the five-year-old system I was
| replacing--and Vista is basically a painted-over XP with some
| bolted-on upgrades.
|
| [...]
|
| Recently, rather than buy a new laptop with enough hardware to
| run Windows Vista, I picked up a gently used one, wiped the hard
| drive, and installed the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. The Ubuntu
| folks include Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice as part of the
| download, and the installation was easier than a comparable
| Windows one. The free forum support is excellent, too.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130867-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

Related (more from PCWorld):

Here you see Linux getting higher scores than Windows Vista...

The Right Operating System for You

,----[ Quote ]
| With its minimal hardware requirements and solid security, Linux can
| serve as a bulletproof primary OS. And with painless dual-booting
| and virtualization options, including several free and open-source
| apps and the kernel-based Xen software, you can easily try out the
| latest in Linux without having to give up your current operating system.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,129284/printable.html
http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=129284&page=1&type=table&zoomIdx=2

And something that Microsoft does not want people to know, also from PCWorld:

Microsoft's Software Services Struggle

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070405/tc_pcworld/130412