Re: [News] Linux Literature Reaches Teenagers, Novell Promotes .NET

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Literature Reaches Teenagers, Novell Promotes .NET
  • From: Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:18:07 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
After takin' a swig o' grog, OK belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:10:20 +0100, "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>To *hell* with that garbage. Teach them C. Give them a foundation in a
>>*real* programming language.
>
> You just found a new way to say "I'm an idiot."

Why?  Even if he weren't being sarcastic, C is a fine foundation to
start with.  It gets you pretty close to the bare machine model, while
also exposing you to world-class libraries, including pthreads.

It also teaches you what really goes on inside a compiler, so that you
can work on more restricted languages (Java, VB, etc.) with some
knowledge of what they're doing for you.

--
   "Tricorder readings indicate the presence of hot bitches, Captain."