Re: Lenovo preloading SUSE

____/ waterskidoo on Wednesday 08 August 2007 16:06 : \____

> On 2007-08-08, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 19:36 : \____
>

>> Not necessarily. Some people condemn this, but I personally do not. It's a
>> tad unfortunate, but it's an important step nonethelss. Lenovo already has
>> Ubuntu and Fedora certified for the newest laptop. This means that later on
>> there will be choice. You will not be forced to pay SLED tax, part of which
>> goes to Ballmer's bank account.
>
> I respect your opinion Roy and though I wish it were a better deal,
> at least Linux is being loaded instead of Windows.
> Every system that leaves with Linux is one less locked in Windows
> system.

Yes, and some people will replace it with other distributions. It's just sad
that Microsoft plans to make money from sales of a rival actually materialise.
If you wish, I can post a link to a half-and-hour video on antitrust. It shows
not only Microsoft in a short segment, but it also provides history, including
cases where Bell and the rail system made money no matter who you paid to.
They overwhelm and literally _own_ the market this way. This is the mother of
all abuses.  Imagine having America earning money every time a Nigerian boy
buys some bread at the local shop. It's invasion. It's exploitation that is
worse than the equivalent of colonies.

>>> You'd be supportive of the cross-licensing deals with Microsoft, then?
>>> I remain suspicious of your motives.
>>
>> Some said that Dell would offer SUSE as a choice, but they never did.
>> Remember that Dell 'joined' the Microsoft/Novell deal, whatever that means
>> (makes you wonder if they pay Microsoft for Linux behind everyone's back).
>> It happened a month before they started selling Ubuntu GNU/Linux.
>
> For the record I am not in favor of x licensing with MS and in fact I am
> suspicious of any Linux company dealing with Microsoft. Not suspicious of
> the Linux company per se' but looking at MS track record I suspect this
> company will be screwed at some point.

All 3 companies have already been screwed. Linspire was screwed in the worst
way so far. Novell and Xandros are tied at second and I fear that Xandros is
the next Linspire. Earlier I read about serious shakeups at Linspire (not just
the appointment of a new CEO and departure of another). Who knows that is
happening there...? I feel bad for the Linux programmers they employ. I also
try to receive some sympathy from the OpenSUSE volunteers because many of them
hate me. I used to be one of them.

Microsoft loves competition.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything it touches."
                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO