Re: Lenovo preloading SUSE

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 10:36 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 19:36 : \____
>>
>>> waterskidoo <water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Not necessarily. Some people condemn this, but I personally do not. It's a
>> tad unfortunate, but it's an important step nonethelss. Lenovo already has
>> Ubuntu and Fedora certified for the newest laptop. This means that later on
>> there will be choice. You will not be forced to pay SLED tax, part of which
>> goes to Ballmer's bank account.
>
> I see nothing wrong with Lenovo offering whatever flavour of linux their
> customers want;  my issue would be more with Novell for reaching that
> appalling agreement in the first place.
>

>>> You'd be supportive of the cross-licensing deals with Microsoft, then?
>>> I remain suspicious of your motives.
>>
>> Some said that Dell would offer SUSE as a choice, but they never did.
>> Remember that Dell 'joined' the Microsoft/Novell deal, whatever that means
>> (makes you wonder if they pay Microsoft for Linux behind everyone's back).
>> It happened a month before they started selling Ubuntu GNU/Linux.
>>

> No details ever emerged from that which I can recall now.  I wonder what
> they did agree to?

They never exactly said all that much. They vlogged about it (video blog) and I
took some notes in the blog so that I can look at them later. The speaker
mentioned IP and there were some words that sort of give away a thing or two.
We also talked about it in COLA and it might prove useful in the future if
Dell says something about that deal. It has been 100% silent about since then.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
Cpu(s): 30.5%us,  5.2%sy,  1.0%ni, 58.4%id,  4.4%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st