Re: [News] Rumour: ASUS Prepares to Deliver Linux

> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 16:46 : \____

>>> Linux is gaining ground fast. Believe it?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519523
>>>

>> Wow - the first signs of overt change.  I wonder how long the Microsoft
>> board will be in post now?  I don't give them twelve months, myself.
>> They've had over 10 years to work out a sustainable strategy for dealing
>> with free software in a way which could have kept them in business, and
>> have singularly failed to change a single aspect of the way they do
>> business.  The board should be changed and a new one brought in.
>
> They could take a lesson from Sun who had a profit boost. They grasped the open
> source mindset before it was too late and I cannot say that I resent Sun. It
> just fights for mind share now and it won over Michael Larabel (and  Ian
> Murdock).

I spent some time with Simon Phipps last year, he was a good, capable
chap, understood the open-source world well, and had an extremely
well-considered plan to get Sun firmly entrenched into the open-source
world, with a good, solid, internal open-source culture.

I imagine, considering the quality of his plan, that things have come a
long way since then, certainly, the relicensing of Java was important,
and the licensing changes being discussed around Solaris are very
positive.

Sun could, if they wanted, steal a march here by licensing their OS &
kernel all with GPLv3 - it would make them a lot of friends at the FSF,
and would provide an interesting alternative to Linux, which seems to be
locked in GPLv2-land in some kind of time-warp.

>>> Are we finally seeing the year of the Linux desktop?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/13923/
>>
>> yes, we are.
>
> Depends on definition of course. I blogged about it in the weekend, before the
> Lenovo announcement and Dell's expansion (maybe this one too).

It's been on its way for some time.  It was about getting a few pieces
in place at the same time, and I won't think of all of them, but it
needed:

	* office suite (ODF/OO.org plus Abiword/Gnumeric)
	* Browser (firefox, konqueror, ephiphany)
	* IM client (gaim)
	* Video conferencing (jabber/google)
	* email support (google or local servers)
	* email client (mozilla project, mahogany etc.)
	* pretty desktop (KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment)
	* special effects (compiz)
	* movie/film player (mplayer, totem, xine.)
	* music player (xmms, mplayer, etc.)
	* windows fileserver support ( samba)
	* printing (cups)
	* bittorrent
	* DVD/CD ripping & authoring

	Plus:
	* flash player (several sites)
	* real player (bbc)
	* remote access tools (ssh, vnc etc.)
	* easy admin
	* no viruses
	* highly secure

Oh yeah, and some games...

Then, really, there is little other reason why 99.9% of people use a PC
at all.  In fact, for most people, the browser and office suite are
probably enough.

Ubuntu can do all of that, but then, so can my N800, too.