Re: [News] Rumour: ASUS Prepares to Deliver Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 16:46 : \____

>> Linux is gaining ground fast. Believe it?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| In my area ASUS just started replacing Windows laptop stickers with: made
>>| for Red Flag Linux! Although Ubuntu is much better- from what I can see
>>| ASUS laptops no longer say (for Windows) here in China! Incredible. This is
>>| the first gradual (at least partial) step I believe. However they aren't
>>| installing Linux just yet. Vista is a flop and there is a strong open
>>| source undercurrent here that even the (sheep like) laptop sellers can't
>>| catch.
>> `----

> Wow - the first signs of overt change.  I wonder how long the Microsoft
> board will be in post now?  I don't give them twelve months, myself.
> They've had over 10 years to work out a sustainable strategy for dealing
> with free software in a way which could have kept them in business, and
> have singularly failed to change a single aspect of the way they do
> business.  The board should be changed and a new one brought in.

They could take a lesson from Sun who had a profit boost. They grasped the open
source mindset before it was too late and I cannot say that I resent Sun. It
just fights for mind share now and it won over Michael Larabel (and  Ian
Murdock).

>> Are we finally seeing the year of the Linux desktop?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| This past month has seen a flurry activity from a number of players in the
>>| Linux desktop space. Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu, Dell, Lenovo and even Intel
>>| white box system builders are getting into the act.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/13923/
>
> yes, we are.

Depends on definition of course. I blogged about it in the weekend, before the
Lenovo announcement and Dell's expansion (maybe this one too).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Partition if an operating $ysteM must be set aside