Re: [News] [Rival] IE7 Not Working Properly, Even on Windows Vista

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 18:18 : \____
>
>> waterskidoo <water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Same experiences from my little world as well.
>>> I had one friend who was a die hard hold out and now
>>> even he has moved back to XP which makes every single one
>>> of my friends XP refugees. Some are trying out Linux but
>>> it's kind of a hard sell.
>>
>> Hehe, even with all those wonderful proprietary device drivers?
>>
>> The irony here is that had Microsoft been using open-source drivers,
>> they might have some of Vista working properly by now.
>
> Yes, Windows viruses are being developed in a truly open source fashion and
> they prove to be extremely effective. They also evolve to accommodate change
> (e.g. of signatures packs from AV vendors).

Microsoft really have been hoist by their own petard, though;  if they'd
had more open-source drivers and applications, Vista would probably be
working and effective by now.  I suspect that many of the first projects
to work on Vista will be the open-source ones which get ported (whatever
that really means in practice), since the programmers have a real
personal interest in proving that they can do things.