Re: [News] [Rival] Broken System and Corruption Approve Lock-in for Entire State

> Mass. and OOXML: Two Feet, No Feathers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| We learn lessons and move on to the next battle. Just as GPLv2 required GPLv3
>| to patch perceived vulnerabilities, we'll all have much work to do cleaning
>| up after OOXML. Certainly JTC1 Directives around Fast Tracks will need to be
>| gutted and rewritten. Also, the vague and contradictory ballot rules in JTC1,
>| and the non-existent Ballot Resolution Meeting procedures will need to be
>| addressed.
> `----
>
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/08/two-feet-no-feathers.html

This is a really valid point;  it's time for government agencies and
standards bodies the world over to review and revise the totality of
their modes of operation.  They are clearly far too vulnerable to the
kind of corruption which has national bodies approving OOXML as if it
were an open standard like ODF.

We only have to look at the UK where we find Alistair Farquarson of
the national archives also chairs an "OOXML" standardisation body.  How
corrupt is that?

> Mass. Surrenders to Microsoft's Open XML Push
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Some of you may still be wondering why this is such a big deal. Aren't ODF
>| and Open XML both open standards? Does it really matter?
>|
>| Well, yes, they are different. ODF is a real open standard. I can use it. You
>| can use it. I could write an office program that uses it as its default
>| format. You could do the same, and we'd both be able to read and write each
>| other's documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Open XML is open in name
>| only.
>|
>| I think it's telling that Open XML documents aren't even compatible with
>| older versions of Microsoft's own Office suite programs. If you want to read
>| and write to Open XML in Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP or Office 2003,
>| you'll need interoperability pack download from Microsoft. Office 97 users?
>| You're out of luck.
> `----

It's the Microsoft way... a few years ago, the ITU decided to allow
patented works into ITU standards, under pressure mainly from the US
government.  We're now reaping the rewards of that particular piece of
crass stupidity.

<sniop>