[News] Free Open Search Engines Might Prove a Viable Google Alternative

  • Subject: [News] Free Open Search Engines Might Prove a Viable Google Alternative
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 05:21:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Will Google Be Destroyed By Open Source Search Engines?

,----[ Quote ]
| In May I predicted that Google would probably die not from direct competition
| with a new, direct rival but from competition from an army of tiny, but by
| the challenge posed by thousands specialty search engines and Web apps.
|
| We've seen Technorati and Blinkx beat Google at its newer search initiatives.
| How many more little search engines will we see once Wikia goes live?
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/08/will_google_be_1.html

Related:

Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales Says He Refuses To Bow To Chinese Officials Like
Google & Yahoo Did.

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales has indicated that he will try to talk with
| China about their decision to block his user-updated online encyclopedia.
| Although Wikipedia’s content is currently blocked in China,
`----

http://www.ceosmack.com/2007/08/04/wikipedia-founder-jimmy-wales-says-he-refuses-to-bow-to-chinese-officials-like-google-yahoo/
http://tinyurl.com/23o6t6

Wikipedia co-founder to test quality control idea

,----[ Quote ]
| Florence Nibart-Devouard, chair of the board of trustees at the Wikimedia
| Foundation, which runs Wikipedia, said the color-coding idea won widespread
| support from community members attending Wikimania 2007. "We're definitely
| going to support further research and development of this idea," she said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2031237369&rid=-50

Human-based search engine looks to hire would-be searchers

,----[ Quote ]
| Mahalo said it is looking for part-time guides who have previous
| experience at Wikipedia, a well-known blog, a social news site or
| a social bookmarking site.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=623768654&rid=-50

Search Wikia hires Jabber founder, expands concept

,----[ Quote ]
| Wales announced late last year that he was developing the Search
| Wikia offering. "The basic concept of the search project is that I
| want to create a completely transparent, open-source, freely
| licensed search engine," he said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/050107-search-wikia-hires-jabber-founder.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/387zlj

Planning Lessons the Wiki Way

,----[ Quote ]
| The success of Wikipedia, a free online encyclopedia that is maintained
| by volunteers and revised by almost anyone with Internet access, has
| sparked an interest in fostering open source online communities that
| focus on the free sharing of ideas.

The pedia phenomenon

,----[ Qoute ]

`----