Re: Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML

____/ Linonut on Friday 31 August 2007 12:39 : \____

> [...]
>> standards body, just like Ecma. This would hurt other businesses that
>> already have (and boast about) ISO credentials.
>
>    http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=200708301301334
>
> --Quote--
>
> Here's the template letter:
>
> **************************

> Standard Norge
> Att. JCT-1 SC34 committee
>
> Declaration of Support For ISO-Approval of Open XML
>
> I have been made aware that Norway is to cast its vote regarding the
> ECMA standard Open XML during 2007, and that the Norwegian position on
> the matter will be decided by the Norwegian ISO committee (JCT-1 SC34)
>    at Standard Norge. In that connection we think that it is important
>    that Standard Norge is aware about the undersigned's position on this
>    standard.
>
> By signing this declaration, we would like to point out the following to
> Standard Norge:
>
> * An ISO standardization of Open XML will have massive positive effects
>   on the IT industry in Norway, including on our company, our customers
>   and partners. The standardization will also have a large influence on
>   document standards in Norway in the future.
>
> We base this on the following observations:
>
> * A standardization of Open XML will ensure backwards compatibility with
>   billions of existing documents -- other existing formats do not meet
>   this criteria.
>
> * Multiple co-existing standards are not uncommon. For an example one
>   can mention the formats JPEG, GIF, PNG, and TIFF when it comes to
>   digital images. These exist side by side and serve different and
>   overlapping purposes to the benefit of the users.
>
> * Open XML does not preclude the use of other standards such as RTF,
>   TXT, ODF, PDF etc. On the contrary, an ISO standardization will
>   further the interoperability between these standards. By making
>   Open XML an internationally recognized standard, publicly available
>   to all, it is ensures that the standard can communicate with other
>   standards.
>
> Thus, by this we would like to express our full support for Open XML as
> an ISO standard.
>
> [Date]
>
> [Business, Name]
>
> ************************
>
> This, to me, is an open admission that ODF is not compatible with
> OpenXML and never will be, and that the reason is that Microsoft and
> partners see an opportunity to make money by being the only ones that
> can do backward compatibilty well. That's fine as a proprietary business
> model. As a standard, not so much.
>
> --/Quote--
>
> Note how the Microsoft memo Sprinkles in a few factoids (though one of
> them ignores the issue that multiple image format arose in part to
> avoid patents) to distract one from The Big Lie.
>
> Microsoft is doing all this to benefit only one entity -- Microsoft.
>
> One final quote from the URL:
>
>    At least there were no letters from dead people.

About OOXML fraud, she also said it's like watching a trainwreck. You can't
bear watching it, yet you can't look away. There is something irresistible
abouut the disturbing sight.

PJ ought to know that Microsoft has already used the "letters from dead people"
strategy to promote OOXML, namely:

Microsoft puppets spamming ANSI

,----[ Quote ]
| An impressive list of spam comments asking for supporting OOXML and
| backward compatibility, claiming also that "Open XML in no way
| contradicts any other international document standard". No really?
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-11857/microsoft-puppets-spamming-ansi

They also tried pseudo-grassroots in the UK and elsewhere. They fake support.

Here's the classic:

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2001, the Los Angeles Times accused Microsoft of astroturfing
| when hundreds of similar letters were sent to newspapers voicing
| disagreement with the United States Department of Justice and its
| antitrust suit against Microsoft. The letters, prepared by Americans
| for Technology Leadership, had in some cases been mailed from
| deceased citizens or nonexistent addresses.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
Tasks:  75 total,   1 running,  74 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie