Re: [News] Excuses Against Linux Are Running Out Because Linux is Ahead of Vista

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:50:17 +0100
<1700069.lfaBKIAPkA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 29 August 2007 15:15 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 03:37:43 +0100
>> <9662499.67Be5VXpA3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 28 August 2007 19:52 : \____

>>> Wubi made it a non-brainer (among other similar tools).
>>>

>> Not familiar with it.  Google suggests it is "an unofficial
>> Ubuntu installer for Windows".  Not clear if it works on
>> Vista, but when it works, it appears to work excellently
>> well, according to
>>
>> http://www.download.com/Wubi/3000-2094_4-10702316.html
>>
>> Interesting cross-fertilizations we're getting.  Perhaps
>> the purists on both sides will lose out, which may not be
>> a bad thing... :-)
>
> Cross-fertilization? More like black widow.

It is admittedly a delicate problem.  One of the problems
of course is that cross-fertilization favors Microsoft,
as it requires Windows.

The problem is, so do many other corporate procedures,
and there's a certain inertia involved.  How much inertia,
I am not certain.  It's been 17 years since that fateful
day, when Linus posted the original version. ;-)

WinE, of course, facilitates lethargy, but also is an
interesting solution in its own right.  The more WinE,
the less inclination to actually switch to pure Linux
tools, and the less incentive for developers to switch to
developing pure Linux tools.

And this is assuming complete honesty on all sides.  I
rather doubt Microsoft will just sit idly by, even if
developers and coporate entities were en mass just to
decide, one day, to switch to Linux.  Recall, for instance,
the Intel meddling in the OLPC, and the furor that's causing.

Of course I rather doubt anyone else will, either.
The human condition generally doesn't allow for sitting
still very long. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #104392:
for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);