Re: Linux on the laptop

____/ alt on Wednesday 29 August 2007 04:22 : \____

> Hey folks:
>
> I gave my parents a desktop PC a few years back. I installed Linux on
> it. The latest install is Ubuntu 7.04. By my parents now want a laptop,
> and they don't want Windows. Why? They don't want to deal with viruses or
> other security problems. And quite frankly, neither do I. So now I have to
> spec out a machine for them that will run Linux. I'm quite pleased.
>
> On another note, my Uncle just purchased a new laptop with Vista
> installed. He wants to "upgrade" to Windows XP.

Good opportunity for dual boot. Tell him that there's the current O/S (XP) and
one that he can gradually upgrade to (Linux), once he feels comfortable
enough. Microsoft will produce no decent replacement for Windows Vista any
time soon. The next major revision will be out in 2010 at the earliest and
Microsoft watchers say it'll be practically out in 2011 or 2012. At that
point, Windows will have lose its lap/desktop monopoly.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 131 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie