Re: [News] Theo de Raadt Slams Binary Blobs Again

____/ alt on Tuesday 28 August 2007 17:04 : \____

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 04:47:41 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> OpenBSD: Software Freedom
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | OpenBSD creator Theo de Raadt highlighted a recent commit to the NetBSD
>> | source tree saying, "if anyone had any doubt that our insistence on
>> freedom | was important, just read this." The referenced commit message
>> describes an | effort to work around issues with a binary blob included
>> with NetBSD, | something strongly avoided by the OpenBSD project. The
>> commit message states: `----
>>
>> http://kerneltrap.org/node/14229
>
> Two simple solutions:
>
> 1. Don't use Atheros-based cards. Period.
>
> 2. Don't use FreeBSD.
>
> The more these kind of issues come up, the more I agree with people like
> Theo and groups like the FSF.

...still waiting for Mark Shuttleworth to bring that truly open laptop with
Canonical's version of gNewSense). Did you know that Ubuntu 7.10 now has gnash
as an option. It's a tickbox away, so no need for Flash either.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"
Swap:  1510068k total,   320476k used,  1189592k free,   102716k cached