[News] Theo de Raadt Slams Binary Blobs Again

  • Subject: [News] Theo de Raadt Slams Binary Blobs Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 04:47:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenBSD: Software Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenBSD creator Theo de Raadt highlighted a recent commit to the NetBSD
| source tree saying, "if anyone had any doubt that our insistence on freedom
| was important, just read this." The referenced commit message describes an
| effort to work around issues with a binary blob included with NetBSD,
| something strongly avoided by the OpenBSD project. The commit message states:
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/14229

Related:

OpenBSD Founder Theo deRaadt Has Conflict of Interest With AMD

,----[ Quote ]
| I formerly had a great deal of respect, bordering on admiration, for Theo
| deRaadt's refusals to compromise his open source principles, even in the face
| of stiff opposition. Although he has occasionally gone over-the-top,
| recommended some frankly very dubious changes to OpenBSD, and is regularly
| arrogant (which is even more annoying because he's so often right!), he's
| always remained consistent in his devotion to the cause of GNU/Free Software.
`----

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2007/8/2/15233/84896

OpenBSD founder: Intel leaves open-source out in the cold

,----[ Quote ]
| He accused Intel of understating the impact of the bugs “very significantly”
| and cautioned OS developers that they will most certainly run into these
| bugs.
|
| [...]
|
| “All of this is just unbelievable to many of us,” he declared.
|
| de Raadt said he cannot recommend the purchase of any machines based on the
| Intel Core 2 until these issues are dealt with.
|
| “Intel must be come more transparent,” he said, noting that rival AMD isn’t
| much better.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=336#7851462737160269475

Intel: Only "Open" for Business