Re: [News] Linus is Not Worried About Microsoft at All

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 28 August 2007 11:53 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 28 August 2007 10:18 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Of course, the GPL was always a political issue, so you can't really
>>> make licence choices without considering the politics.  Naive people
>>> always like to think that they can be separated, like sport and
>>> politics.  They can't.
>>
>> In an idea world they could. But look what Microsoft does to OOXML debates,
>> which ought to have been technical. It was long ago that people around the
>> world, some of whom I know, accused Microsoft of turning the whole thing
>> into politics. As OOXML is very weak on technical grounds, making
>> non-technical people concentrate on politics is much easier. Later on, the
>> corruption came as well.
>>

> Even way back when only Telcos were in the ITU, when I used to attend,
> many debates were hotly political.  Many countries had their own
> manufacturers just like they had their own telcos, and would work to try
> to get standardised the work of their indigenous suppliers.  The IETF
> merely made this process overt!
>
> OOXML has highlighted that the ISO process is completely broken, and
> amazingly easy to rig, in this case by Microsoft, but who knows who
> might try it next time?
>
> ECMA is a joke;  it always was a mouthpiece for a handful of vendors,
> but the OOXML disaster has highlighted the uselessness of ECMA.

In BN we referred to ECMA as a coin-in-the-slot organisation and a production
line. Rob Weir (of IBM) showed some slides from Ecma that could leave you
speechless.

The closer I looked at OOXML (Groklaw got me more into it), the more crime I
saw. This appealed to me because it became the next "DR-DOS"-type attack, ODF
being the target.

In years to come, all these information from the TC and anonymous leaks from
those who attended to meetings could truly serve the courts. I don't think
Microsoft will walk away calmly and peacefully. It's downtown Beirut in the
ISO panels.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
Tasks: 122 total,   1 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie