Re: Bill Gates Buys Media, Media Attacks Microsoft Rival with FUD

Moving subthread to sci.environment.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Simon Lewis
<simonlewis2001@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:10:27 +0200
<87r6logayk.fsf@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Saturday 25 August 2007 01:56 : \____
>>
>>> To a lesser extent, there are some individuals in
>>> sci.environment who would somehow try to deny the data that
>>> the Earth is globally warming.
>>
>> Be aware that one oil giant has spent *at least* $30 million on shills that
>> spread the Big Lie.
>
> As a bit of a "tree hugger" myself, I am glad to find someone like
> yourself not afraid to spread the truth.
>
> Can you please post some facts about this because most of my friends
> think I am a bit silly and "over the top" when I tell them that Global
> Warming and UFOs are being covered up by the MS agents in the Penthouse
> who are nothing more than MSShills and Marketeers (selling their
> products).

Dunno about hard facts, but one clearly can see the
shrinkage of the Arctic ice cap from NASA data.  Since,
as everyone should know, a melting ice cube takes heat to
melt (keeping the meltwater at the freezing point, give or
take), this may lead to a *decrease* in average temperature
(though that's rather unlikely), or will at least mitigate
global warming sufficiently to confuse the issue, in some
areas.  There are also effects relating to ocean salinity.

But the evidence is clear: the northern ice cap is shrinking.
Man-made?  Probably.  I wish I could be certain.

Personally, I'm more curious as to what to do about it.  There
are several courses of action I can see:

- Crash the economy NOW.  The general idea would be to
  jack up interest rates and make such a mess of the global
  world economy that most factory production comes to a
  screeching halt, throwing the world into a state which
  may make the Great Depression of the 1930's and 1940's
  a tiny dip in comparison.  Fewer factories running,
  less greenhouse gas emissions and less employment.  Less
  employment, less commuting (at least in many developed
  countries), and less greenhouse gas emissions.  Of course
  the misery caused by this option will be rather nasty.

  I'm not sure this won't happen anyway; Mexico's oil
  fields are showing signs of petering out -- and rather
  quickly, in the next 10 years or so.  Saudi Arabia and
  Iraq might last a little longer.  Iran may be trying to
  plan for its future, but someone really confused things
  as they continue to grope for the nuclear solution.
  Iraq may also want the Nuclear solution, and may even
  be better off in the long run, as their oil output is
  currently fairly small, because of US occupation issues
  and internal strife.

- Accelerated "boondoggle" research into solving the
  problem using so-called renewable fuels, including
  nuclear (which I for one do not count as renewable,
  and there are issues regarding environmental damage
  therewith; however, it does help to reduce CO2 emissions
  AFAICT).  Didn't work during the Carter era, and I'm
  not sure how well it will work now.

  Note that, given current photovoltaic technology, we'd
  have to cover a sizable fraction of the US's area to
  pick up where coal leaves off.  Most US coal consumption
  goes into electric power (!!).

- SNAFU, letting market forces take things as they will and
  otherwise ignoring the problem.  As oil peters out fuel
  synthesizers will come online, making a bit of a mess
  of things (the residual goo from so-called "clean coal"
  isn't easily handled, as I understand it, and is probably
  rather radioactive).  Hydrogen fueled affairs will be
  interesting, as hydrogen cannot be mined, only synthesized;
  the energy has to come from somewhere.  Ideally, additional
  photovoltaics could handle that -- but PVs have their own
  special problems, unless we can reduce their manufacturing
  costs.  There are enticing hints in that direction, so
  we'll see.

- Subsidizing oil and coal companies on the rather
  interesting (but probably totally wrong!) premise that
  the environmental greenies are damaging the economy by
  frightening the populace.

  Hmm...are we doing that now?  I'm a little confused as to
  the Administration's energy policy...

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.