Can we trust Netcraft any more?

  • Subject: Can we trust Netcraft any more?
  • From: Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:26:50 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ever wonder why OK keeps posting the Netcraft survey?

Here's one that shows the opposite:

   http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/200707/index.html

   Market Share Change (Total servers: 24,859,287)
   Server1    July         July       June      June    Change
              Count         %         Count       %

   Apache     18,349,682   73.81%   18,166,994  73.52%   +0.29%
   Microsoft   4,805,841   19.33%   4,851,577   19.63%   -0.30%

   http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000271

   Here is the Netcraft survey and here is a Security Space survey.
   While Netcraft says Apache represents 51% market share and rapidly
   shrinking, Security Space puts Apache at 74% and growing! Netcraft
   says Microsoft IIS has 34% market share and is rapidly growing,
   Security Space pegs Microsoft IIS at 20% market share, as it
   continues to shrink.

   Why the vast discrepancy? Does one or the other survey use a
   misleading polling technique (sites vs. domains vs. servers)? And
   which survey is misleading? Is Netcraft guilty of voodoo economics
   (perhaps we should start calling it Witchcraft)? Or is Security Space
   getting it wrong? I believe common sense favors Security Space, but
   what do you think?

Some comments at that link (including our own Roy S.)  Here's one that
might be telling:

   This came up at slashdot about a week ago. Someone went digging and
   found that China has about 60% IIS (mostly pirated). While the number
   at GoDaddy is large, China is about 10 times that many. They also
   found that North America and EU were still in 70% range for Apache.

Other explanations include the domain parking crap, IIS server
riding on the popularity of Sharepoint and BusinessServices, a huge
upswing of Visual Studio developers shifting from desktop to web apps
(ASP.net), ...

--
Tux rox!