[News] [SOT] Google Replaces DRMed 'Premium Content' with Free Content

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Google Replaces DRMed 'Premium Content' with Free Content
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:16:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google reverses itself on video refunds

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has said that the company wants to concentrate more of its attention
| on video search and its video-sharing site, YouTube. The company has also not
| ruled out returning to video-on-demand in the future.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6203702.html

Web sites out of tune with musicians' rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Musicians long ago discovered how to use the Internet to interact with fans
| and introduce their music to a global market. It's a great marketing tool,
| and there now are a plethora of sites that provide them access to fans.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6203520.html

Very disruptive. It takes the predatory middlemen out of business so that
artists can actually get paid for their own work.

Like software, like content.

Related:

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----
| The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
| CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
| widespread criticism from music retailers.
|
| The Mail on Sunday revealed yesterday that the 10-track Planet
| Earth CD will be available with an "imminent" edition, making it
| the first place in the world to get the album. Planet Earth will go
| on sale on July 24.
|
| "It's all about giving music for the masses and he believes in
| spreading the music he produces to as many people as possible,"
| said Mail on Sunday managing director Stephen Miron. "This is the
| biggest innovation in newspaper promotions in recent times."
|
| The paper, which sells more than 2m copies a week, will be ramping
| up its print run in anticipation of a huge spike in circulation but
| would not reveal how much the deal with Prince would cost.
|
| One music store executive described the plan as "madness" while
| others said it was a huge insult to an industry battling fierce
| competition from supermarkets and online stores. Prince's label has
| cut its ties with the album in the UK to try to appease music
| stores.
|
| The Entertainment Retailers Association said the giveaway "beggars
| belief". "It would be an insult to all those record stores who have
| supported Prince throughout his career," ERA co-chairman Paul Quirk
| told a music conference. "It would be yet another example of the
| damaging covermount culture which is destroying any perception of
| value around recorded music.
|
| "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince should know that with
| behaviour like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available
| in Record Stores. And I say that to all the other artists who may
| be tempted to dally with the Mail on Sunday."
|
| High street music giant HMV was similarly scathing about the plans.
| Speaking before rumours of a giveaway were confirmed, HMV chief
| executive Simon Fox said: "I think it would be absolutely nuts. I
| can't believe the music industry would do it to itself. I simply
| can't believe it would happen; it would be absolute madness."
|
| Prince, whose Purple Rain sold more than 11m copies, also plans to
| give away a free copy of his latest album with tickets for his
| forthcoming concerts in London. The singer had signed a global deal
| for the promotion and distribution of Planet Earth in partnership
| with Columbia Records, a division of music company Sony BMG. A
| spokesman for the group said last night that the UK arm of Sony BMG
| had withdrawn from Prince's global deal and would not distribute
| the album to UK stores.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Net radio "compromise" hinged on DRM adoption

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070715-net-radio-compromise-hinged-on-drm-adoption.html