Re: [News] Mainstream Press is Apathetic and Prejudiced Against GNU/Linux

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht news:1428188.S0hC0KJNSb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 21:08 : \____

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:54:55 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

In article <pan.2007.12.29.20.05.01.274281@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:44:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Kier on Saturday 29 December 2007 17:40 : \____
>
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:28:55 +0000, 7 wrote:
>>
>>> Linux is show shipping 1 million new desktops per month and selling
>>
>> YOu still haven't shown any proof of this.
>
> It's a very reasonable estimate. Eee PCs alone sold about 200,000 per
> month.

I heard 175,000. Whichever it is, it's pretty good news, I agree. But 7
has been saying this for ages without any evidence. When anyone asks, he
just spews more babytalk.

They projected selling 200k by the end of the year, which had 2.5 months
left in it when they went on sale.  They actually sold about 350k, in
just over 2 months, which would be 175k a month, so your number looks
like the right one.

However, that will include a boost from launch month, and a boost from
Christmas sales, so they probably won't sustain that rate.

Possibly. But it's an excellent start. I'd quite like an Asus myself. My
brother said he'd seen one, and was fairly impressed. It's the sort of
device you could carry about without too much bother, as it's so small and
being solid state is less likely to be damaged by living in a bag or
briefcase. The latest Linux Format mag reviewed it and gave it a general
thumbs-up. But I just lashed out several hundred quid on a 32 inch telly,
so it may have to wait a while :-) By then any quirks are likely to be
ironed out, too.

<snip>

The sales figures from Asus were limited by production capacity. If I recall correctly, 5 million units were expected to sell next year. These forecasts
were changed and the numbers elevated significantly just before Xmas (I'll
fetch the references if you want). Asus insists that it can dominate 20% of the laptops market and the Eee PC is bound to become its second most important
product. Vista won't run on the Eee PC any time soon (with reasonable
performance and real attraction).

OS Platform Statistics: nov. 2007 - Linux 3.3%
OS Platform Statistics: nov. 2006 - Linux 3.5%
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
Meet the Roy Schestowitz liar at:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007/09/roy-schestowitz-liar.html

Don't let Timmy and the Microsoft apologist downplay the significance of this.
They will try very hard.

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.