Re: [News] ELive Integration with Windows Improved

__/ [ Kier ] on Thursday 15 February 2007 11:25 \__

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:18:22 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 15 February 2007 09:57 \__

>>> I must say I liked Elive, nice to see the site is back up, I still slip
>>> the live disc in now and then to write another tune on the drum machine,
>>> I'll have a top ten hit one day, I wonder if my platform shoes and loom
>>> pants still fit me, well I don't want to look a pratt on top of the pops.
>>
>> There are some distributions that are more suitable than Elive for music,
>> I think. One that's based on Ubuntu will come out in April. Be sure to
>> upload your output or at least put it on a USB stick if you're doing some
>> music.
>
> Dyne:bolic is a good one for music production, it has all sorts of apps
> and tools for sound and video creation/streaming, etc, some GUI, some CLI
> (though it can be slightly less adept than some Live CDs at detecting
> graphics/network cards).
>
>> The Web needs more free music... you know, just to make the RIAA angry
>> because labels' output is no longer attrarcive. Cuttin' the middlemen...
>
> Let's hope more technically-inclined musicians take this idea up. OF
> course, it takes work, but at least more of the profit may end up in the
> hands of those who actually produced the music and did the creative work.

There's some reciprocity there as well (just like code). 1 produces Y tracks
of music for X people and X people produce X*Y tracks for music for that 1
person. Music, much like computer programs are duplicable. They are cheap to
transfer in an age of broadband as well. Creative Commons does to the
records industry the same thing that Free software (it can be commercial)
does to proprietary code. In the same vein, blogs and journalism; stock
exchanges and photographers...

Ultimately, more people have /more/ information. This bridges the gap between
those who can afford plenty and those who get very little, despite the fact
that there's no manufacturing cost. Time and passion don't equate to raw
material or physical labour.

--
                ~~ Greetings

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
Mem:    514480k total,   382968k used,   131512k free,    33656k buffers