Re: Windows adds 'maybe pirate' category

__/ [ Freeride ] on Wednesday 28 February 2007 04:44 \__

http://news.com.com/Windows+adds+maybe+pirate+category/2100-7355_3-6162734.html?tag=nefd.top

>>With a software update this week, however, Microsoft has added a new
>>"Yellow state" for times when it just can't tell whether a copy is
>>legitimate. According to Microsoft, the new indeterminate reading can
>>occur, for example, when a local error or network error prevents the
>>validation check from being completed.
>
>>For machines that get the new "maybe pirate" reading, a window pops up
>>that says "unable to complete genuine Windows validation." Encountering
>>the new reading does not limit a user's ability to download additional
>>software, as is the case when a computer fails validation.
>
>>Microsoft said it hoped the new state would lead to better experiences
>>for customers. "If a system or network error prevents an accurate status
>>check, Microsoft wants customers to know that and have the option to fix
>>the problem," Microsoft said. "We have seen many instances where the
>>failure to complete validation is masking other system problems that
>>users should attend to.
>
> The joys of running Windows! :)

So big brother (or nanny) phones you every now and then to keep on eye on
what you do. Lovely! :-)

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Cpu(s):  21.8% user,   2.8% system,   0.9% nice,  74.6% idle