Re: VMware fires broadside at Microsoft

__/ [ Freeride ] on Wednesday 28 February 2007 04:52 \__

http://news.com.com/VMware+fires+broadside+at+Microsoft/2100-1016_3-6162690.html?tag=nefd.top

>>VMware, the incumbent power in the blossoming realm of virtualization,
>>has accused Microsoft of using foul play to promote its own competing
>>products.
>
> Nah! They would never do any such thing! :)
>
>>In a white paper published Friday, the EMC subsidiary said Microsoft is
>>using Windows licensing terms to prevent customers from taking full
>>advantage of virtualization.
>
>>"Microsoft is trying to restrict customers' flexibility and freedom to
>>choose virtualization software by limiting who can run their software and
>>how they can run it," VMware said.
>
>>"Microsoft believes the claims made in VMware's white paper contain
>>several inaccuracies and misunderstandings of our current license and use
>>policies, our support policy and our commitment to technology
>>collaboration," Mike Neil, Microsoft's general manager of virtualization
>>strategy, said in a statement Tuesday. "We believe that we are being
>>progressive and fair with our existing licensing and use policies and
>>creating a level playing field for partners and customers," he said
>
> Bullshit!
>
>>"Microsoft licensing policies ask for permanent assignment of operating
>>system licenses to hardware and then restrict the movement of those
>>operating system licenses, even for virtualized environments that can be
>>moved seamlessly from machine to machine," VMware said.
>
>>In particular, Microsoft permits Windows Server licenses to be moved only
>>once every 90 days, VMware said. That breaks VMware's VMotion technology
>>(which moves running virtual machines from one computer to another) and
>>the higher-level Distributed Resource Manager (which balances software
>>work with available hardware by moving virtual machines with VMotion).
>
>>Virtual machines stored in Microsoft's VHD format may not be converted
>>into other virtual machine formats, including VMware's.
>
>>Microsoft provides support for virtualization only to customers with
>>premier support contracts.
>
> Bottom line lets fuck with VMWare still our slow fat ass development team
> can come up with a product that can compete.

They could do to progress and innovation in the virtualisation space the same
thing it did to Web development with IE. It serves them well. After all,
virtualisation opens the door to competing platforms. Why let the technology
mature?

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Cpu(s):  21.8% user,   2.8% system,   0.9% nice,  74.6% idle