Re: why Dell Linux is more expensive than Windows ..

  • Subject: Re: why Dell Linux is more expensive than Windows ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 01:41:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rafael ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 22:15 \__

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html#msoft

> I found this part of the article interesting:
>
>> In 1999 BeOS offered its operating system free to any OEM that would
>> preinstall it. When Hitachi took them up on it and offered a machine
>> that would dual boot between Windows and BeOS, Microsoft forced
>> Hitachi to remove all mention of BeOS from the bootloader. So Hitachi
>> shipped a BeOS partition on their machines, but with no way to boot
>> into it.
>
> Not only have they done it to US manufacturers, they have forced others
> as well.

It's part of the strategy.

Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne

,----[ Quote ]
| Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that
| Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is
| a program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin,
| to analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software,
| and specifically Linux.
| His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon --
| in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents.
| And the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the
| OEM channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that
| end users have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Microsoft_Shuts_Down_Linux_10_Years_Ago_Says_Iowa_Attorney

Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source
Tasks: 105 total,   2 running, 101 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie