Re: Programmers Get Fed Up With Microsoft

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 17:10 \__

> on Feb 24 2007 14:50:21 +0000 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Quite long. It reflects on the feelings of many developers.
>
> 'you can't compete with the motivation of thousands of unpaid
> volunteers that wish nothing more than to give back to mankind. Sounds
> kind of altruistic'
>
> Fuddie, tell us again how it is hatred and greed that motivates
> people, not altruism.

Not so long ago, PJ chose to quote an interesting scientific article which
proved altruism is innate. Apparently, it's in the brain. Now, show me a
Microsoft programmer sitting in a cubicle working as hard as folks from
Groklaw. Some previous posts in COLA included the writings of undermotivated
Microsoft engineers. Nothing drives them other than payslips. There's no
inspiration and the products are nobody's baby. It all belong to investors
who judge by the graphs and the balance; not the bugs, the elegance, and the
efficiency. Wox says that Microsoft and Apple produce the most buggy
software. Deadlines don't help either (let alone extra money). Just look at
Debian Etch.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
roy      pts/4                         Sat Feb 24 16:55 - 17:00  (00:05)