Re: [News] New "Highly Critical" Vulnerability Found in Office 2007

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 03:50:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Flaw found in Office 2007
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Researchers have discovered a "highly critical" security flaw in
>| newly released Office 2007, despite Microsoft's efforts to deliver
>| its most secure version yet of the productivity software.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6161835.html
>
> Most secure. Ever. Begin counting the Vista/Office07 zombies.

Lol.  First, Publisher isn't a 'core product' of Office 2007.  Second,
Publisher, like Groove, and Visio and a few other parts haven't had the
same kind of attention spent on them as Word, Excel, Access, and
Powerpoint, which were the major objectives of this release.  Even Outlook
had more changes than Publisher, which is almost unchanged.  It doesn't use
an XML format either, so the fileformat hasn't changed.

So yeah, it's not surprising at all.  It's going to take more effort to
find flaws in the core products (and I'm sure they're there, nearly all
non-trivial software has flaws).

Interesting that eEye comments that they don't think anyone will exploit it
because Office 2007 doesn't have a large enough user base yet.  Considering
there are likely already more Office 2007 users than there are Linux users,
I find that interesting.