Re: [News] 19-year-old Child Penetrates Thousands of Windows PCs

__/ [ Rick ] on Friday 23 February 2007 11:53 \__

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 04:59:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The secret life of a cyber hero
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The mystery hacker whose online infiltration has led to several arrests
>> | of suspected child predators -- including a California superior court
>> | judge -- was a 19-year-old loner who penetrated 3,000 computers around
>> | the world from his parents' basement in Langley, B.C.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Dubbed "Citizen Tipster" by police, Brad Willman, spent night after
>> | night writing a Trojan Horse program that gave him complete control over
>> | every computer that downloaded it.
>> `----
>>

> ... this 'kid is a hero because he hacked into people's computers? What
> about all the non-predators he hacked? And we he be prosecuted for all
> these illegal computer entries?

It's ironic, isn't it? That's just what I thought as well. The 'bad boy' type
is still in fashion, I guess. And the word "cracker" is out of the
journalists' dictionary. Some say 'malicious hacker'. I remember reading
about 15 year olds breaking into people's PCs. Can you even call them
"crackers"? I mean, could you send juveniles to prison? If not, then you
have a crime haven and a loophole. Windows elevates script kiddies to
botmasters status (or script Gods).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source
Mem:    514480k total,   483832k used,    30648k free,     7820k buffers