Re: [News] LockerGnomer Leaves Windows, Chooses Ubuntu Linux; Linux Wireless Beats Windows

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Switching to Ubuntu?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Okay, I am now in the process of, maybe, switching to Ubuntu Linux
> | from Windows. I have read way too many ?bad? reviews of Vista. One
> | minute it's the cat's meow, the next it won?t run right unless you
> | have a minimum of 4 Gigs of RAM. Sheesh. Thus the (more than
> | likely) changeover.
> |
> | Anyway. I have installed Ubuntu onto its very own hard drive.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Still, no crashes, no lockups, just sits there, chugging along,
> | while I do my stuff.
> `----
>
> http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/michael/2007/02/20/switching-to-ubuntu/

Dear Michael,

There are also people who say bad things about Linux. Which of the two lots
are likely to be most correct, those who tried Linux and didn't like it or
those that tried Vista and didn't like it.

I'm a Linux advocate, so my view would have little meaning to you either, I
would say that Linux is the best thing to ever sit on a computer. How can
you know what I say is true?

You can get a free trial of XPVista, I am only reccommending this because it
sounds like you have a spare drive now with your old version of MS Win on
it, so no great loss if the virtual install destroys it. Please unplug your
Ubuntu drive before you start, we don't want any nasty accidents, best put
the rubber gloves on too, well you never know.

The google search "vista free trial" brings up various links to it.

The reason I say this is because I don't want you sitting in front of your
Linux in a few weeks time wondering if Vista would have been more fun or
something. Instead I would rather you sat there knowing you had made the
right choice.

Actually I noticed in that search a link to 'Microsoft Virtual PC' free
download, it says it is for every version of DOS and Windows and OS/2 (can
you still get OS/2 install discs?).

I couldn't help wondering the obvious, will Linux run in that particular VM?
Yes it does, the list of tested OS's is impressive,
        http://vpc.visualwin.com

I suspect that we will see that rolling out to the MS Hosts and why not, do
we really care where the VM machine comes from, so long as the OS we rent
is of the type that we want.