Re: [OT] The Vista G spot

__/ [ Linonut ] on Wednesday 21 February 2007 12:31 \__

<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011523&source=NLT_OS&nlid=41>

>    Buying a new PC? 'Windows Vista Capable' barely hits the mark
>    IBM'er says Vista's RAM sweet spot is 4GB
>    Patrick Thibodeau
>    February 20, 2007 (Computerworld)
>
>    . . .
>
>    Microsoft may be using PCs loaded with 4GB of RAM for some of its
>    customer demos; At least that's what Ann Westerheim, president of
>    Ekaru LLC, reports. A Microsoft representative recently demonstrated
>    Vista on a system with 4GB of system memory to some of its customers,
>    and the performance was so impressive that it drew some "ohs and ahs"
>    from the audience, said Westerheim. The Westford, Mass.-based company
>    provides technology services for small and mid-sized business.
>
> [Not to mention that vendors are notorious for "optimizing" their demos.]
>
>    Westerheim said that for her personal use she may configure a system
>    with 2GB RAM, only because of the cost of loading 4GB on a laptop.
>
> I can run Debian Linux and a 512-Mb VM of Win 2000 in 2Gb, and still
> have 500 Mb or RAM unused.  2Gb for XP?  That's its sweet spot.

I Imagine that the WinTrolls will get all defensive, so here's some
corroboration.

Testing Vista's different memory configurations

,----[ Quote ]
| You simply cannot play games on Vista with 512MB o memory, at least not the
| games wen tested. You will sometimes get playable scores but even then the
| experience and the load time will be ridiculous.
|
| Anything more than 512MB will help you a lot, with 2x1GB being the best
| price performance buy.
|
| 4x1GB is the best choice for best raw performance. It is hard to prove it
| ^^^^^
| in every test, but if you have 2x1GB and you load as much in memory, the
|                                ^^^^^
| system will become endessly slow.
|                             ^^^^

Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

--
                ~~ With compliments

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
Cpu(s):  22.2% user,   2.8% system,   1.0% nice,  74.0% idle