Re: [News] A quick tour around Windows Vista

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 09 January 2007 08:11 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>> > begin  oe_protect.scr
>> > Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > I don't think that the BBC could ever be in bed with anyone,
>> > including MS, their charter does not allow it.  If you think the
>> > article is flawed or mistaken, then say so - they will fix it.  They
>> > are not allowed bias.
>>
>> Come on Mark, that article is *dripping* with bias. With the vast
>> majority of previews, reviews, opinions and blogs about Vista having
>> almost nothing positive to say, the BBC comes up with an article that
>> has absolutely nothing *negative* to say about Vista
>> whatsoever. That's considerably more than just suspicious, it's
>> neon-flashing-light obvious.
>>
>> Even if they don't want to express an opinion ("report the news, don't
>> make the news"), at the very least they should have cited some of the
>> criticisms that *others* have about this OS, particularly as many of
>> those critics are the grassroots Microsoft faithful.
>>
>> It doesn't even read like it was written *by* them; it reads more like
>> it was handed *to* them, and told to print it. It's like an advert.
>>
>> The BBC might have a charter, but pesky charters, laws, and policies
>> never stopped Microsoft breaking the rules; I doubt it will stop the
>> BBC from being coerced to break them either.
>>
>> And yes ... I will tell them.
>>
>> /me looks up BBC contact addresses.
>>

> Good - complain - they're not allowed bias.  I didn't say that the
> article wasn't biassed, I just said that they're not allowed to have
> bias in their articles, so they can, and should, be biased.  The same is
> true of all of our television and radio media, too.

Little update: Homer's letter has made its way into the FSF Web site. Also,
yesterday I spotted an ABC 'News' (follow the money) article which excluded
criticisms of Vista. This led me to pointing to Homer's letter, which is now
a powerful reference to have. If the BBC caves, anyone could. Even bloggers
with shiny Ferrari laptops.

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
roy      pts/4                         Tue Jan  9 06:07 - 06:07  (00:00)