Re: 'Trusted' Computing, 'Genuine' 'Advantage', and Now... 'Premium' Content

Rex Ballard wrote:
> Let me see if I get this right.  If I buy a Vista PC, and I download a
> movie or song from AOL, I can ONLY play it on the PC, my monitor will
> go all fuzzy,  my other applications will lock up, and the traditional
> concepts of "Fair Use" such as ability to use it for personal and home
> use or play the audio clip in my car will no longer be allowed.

Worse..

You spend $$ on a new computer... much more if you want Vista Extreme
Ultimate Ultra Cool Editition.  You have to pay for the content, and if
for any reason one of the trusted modules in your computer changes (
Vid card, MB, Network card ) expect to be on the phone begging to be
able to play your media.  Expect that "freeware" like firefox and gaim
will stop working in this "protected" mode as well ( can't trust
freeware can we ).

Oh, and if the video card "trusted platform" status is revoked you will
need a new one.  Same thing goes for sound card... can't have you using
the  A-Hole on "premium" content.

Damn, your flat panel dies.  Go dig the VGA monitor out of the
basement, but don't expect to be able to watch your media since you
could be using the "A-Hole" to capture the VGA signals.

Oh, if the TPM on the motherboard gets hacked...  expect to have to buy
a new computer because new media will not play.  With this new computer
expect to be on the phone begging to use your content ( again ).

Or Microsoft could just come up with a new DRM standard ( just like the
zune ) and base it on newer definitions of which systems are secure and
you are screwed again.

It's a mess and it's not going to get any better, only worse.  The
whole idea that a device that you sell to a customer can be secured is
ludicrous on it's face.  Any time you give consumers the key ( it's in
the chip on the MB ) SOMEONE will hack it.

While this may seem like some ranting OSS daydream take a gander at
this document that backs up these claims.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

-Eric
http://brontide.blogspot.com/