Re: 'Trusted' Computing, 'Genuine' 'Advantage', and Now... 'Premium' Content

  • Subject: Re: 'Trusted' Computing, 'Genuine' 'Advantage', and Now... 'Premium' Content
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 5 Jan 2007 07:46:53 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Another little game of words, making the negative seem like a positive.
>
> Why Use Windows Vista?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Vista is all about 'premium content'. This is music or video
> | that's copyrighted by one of the major music or movie companies.
> | Basically, if any such content is being played, Vista goes into
> | a sort of 'protected mode'.
> `----
> http://www.coofercat.com/node/1081

Let me see if I get this right.  If I buy a Vista PC, and I download a
movie or song from AOL, I can ONLY play it on the PC, my monitor will
go all fuzzy,  my other applications will lock up, and the traditional
concepts of "Fair Use" such as ability to use it for personal and home
use or play the audio clip in my car will no longer be allowed.

Such a deal.  I can just see people lining up around the block to get
their new Vista boxes on Saturday, and then Lining up around the block
to return them on Monday.  Fortunately, most states have 72 hour return
laws for mail-order (Dell's gonna hate that!).  And most retailers have
a 7-day unconditional return policy.

We've already seen even rabid Wintrols saying "hold off", telling their
readers not to rush into Vista at this point.  Maybe by the time they
put out Service Pack 3, it will be something worth actually paying for.

Obviously, we're not going to see great 64 bit capabilities, 64 bit
applications, multithreaded component based multitasking applications,
so really, Vista is just way too little, way too late.  And of course,
there is all that "protection" from "viruses" like Firefox, OpenOffice,
RealPlayer, Symantic Antivirus, MacAffee Antivirus, any Antispyware
program (I guess Microsoft LIKES Spyware, especially if they are
willing to pay Microsoft for the right to invade our computers).  And
of course, we'll never see another virus on Vista again, since it took
as whole 8 hours for 100 hackers to crack Vista in a controlled
environment.

Sasser, Bagel, Sky, Melissa, Iloveyou, jane's Resume, and all of the
other 300,000 viruses that have successfully comprimized Windows boxes,
will just "bounce off" - if we turn on the mode that allows only
Microsoft to decide what software can be installed.

No thanks!