Re: [News] Yet Another Indian State Shuns Microsoft!!!

__/ [ rapskat ] on Tuesday 02 January 2007 03:06 \__

http://digg.com/tech_news/Indian_state_of_Tamilnadu_follows_suit_FOSS_preferred_over_Microsoft_s

> Good for them!  Really, with all the REAL WORLD(tm) first hand experience
> that I've had in the past few years WRT proprietary vs. OSS software
> solutions, the occassional birth pains of deploying an OSS solution
> more than pay off in the long run.
>
> Myself and other advocates in this group have always stated this, but it
> always gives a warm and fuzzy when you are validated on your conjecture.
>
> Some (reoccurring) costs to consider with proprietary software...
>
> Licensing
> (Re)Training
> (Re)Deployment
> Upgrade Paths
> Refresh Schedules
> Hardware Obsolescence
> Binary Lockin
> Etc...
>
> It is good to see that those who have a clue in the IT Sector realize that
> POS is just not in the best interest of forward mobility.  Now the rest of
> the world (esp. the US) just needs to do a steatocraniadectomy and
> follow suit.

It's true. Just appeared in some more reliable source. It is not a blurb.

Tamil Nadu (India) Shutting the Door On Microsoft

"The managing director of the IT procurement, consulting, and training
agency for the Tamil Nadu government describes the reasons why he has
chosen OSS, and also how he dealt with Microsoft executives."

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/0226229&from=rss

http://mandriva.blogspot.com/2007/01/tamil-nadu-india-may-shut-door-on.html

The quote is an intersting one. Why should anyone have to "deal with
Microsoft executives" anyway? That company is just criminal.

- --
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | #FFFFFFF4 ADD &R1, "9999999", &BankAccount
  3:00pm  up 77 days  1:14,  6 users,  load average: 1.55, 1.33, 1.05