Re: [News] Yet Another Indian State Shuns Microsoft?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Yet Another Indian State Shuns Microsoft?
  • From: rapskat <rapskat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 22:06:53 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 19:13:59 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Indian state of Tamilnadu follows suit! FOSS preferred over Microsoft's!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Tamil Nadu government, which is on a fast-track pushing the state
> | to the top in the Indian IT sector, has almost shut its door on the
> | software giant, Microsoft, preferring the Open Source Systems (OSS)
> | for reasons of costs and easy migrating capabilities.
> `----
>
> http://digg.com/tech_news/Indian_state_of_Tamilnadu_follows_suit_FOSS_preferred_over_Microsoft_s

Good for them!  Really, with all the REAL WORLD(tm) first hand experience
that I've had in the past few years WRT proprietary vs. OSS software
solutions, the occassional birth pains of deploying an OSS solution
more than pay off in the long run.

Myself and other advocates in this group have always stated this, but it
always gives a warm and fuzzy when you are validated on your conjecture.

Some (reoccurring) costs to consider with proprietary software...

Licensing
(Re)Training
(Re)Deployment
Upgrade Paths
Refresh Schedules
Hardware Obsolescence
Binary Lockin
Etc...

It is good to see that those who have a clue in the IT Sector realize that
POS is just not in the best interest of forward mobility.  Now the rest of
the world (esp. the US) just needs to do a steatocraniadectomy and
follow suit.

--
rapskat -  21:57:50 up 12 days,  4:19,  7 users,  load average: 2.23, 1.83, 1.80