Re: [News] "Not releasing to Linux makes no sense"

  • Subject: Re: [News] "Not releasing to Linux makes no sense"
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 05:31:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 10 January 2007 17:02 \__
>

>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> __/ [ amosf © Tim Fairchild ] on Wednesday 10 January 2007 13:02 \__

>>> Common fact of life:
>>>
>>>        Windows is popular among the rookies---those who don't know better.
>>> Educated
>>> people can comprehend, appreciate and handle Free software. Thus, it is,
>>> at
>>> least at present, the affluent people who use GNU/Linux. Don't believe me?
>>> Look at Google. Then, go to countries where Windows is prevalent and find
>>> that over 90% is pirated.
>>
>>     Aunty's arguments are flawed, and are very well addressed by Ewok's
>> post. However, I don't think it's true to say that the affluent "prefer"
>> FOSS either. To take your argument, look at the countries which are
>> traditionally considered "affluent" (e.g. those in North America) and those
>> that are typically considered not affluent (e.g. India, Africa, the poorer
>> parts of Asia, etc.), and consider where Linux is primarily used and
>> Windows is more primarily used.
>

> You are correct in this assessment. I was going to erase that whole sentence
> which used (reused rather) the word "affluent". That said, I have yet to
> meet a person who chooses Linux because of cost though". I only know (at
> last) one such person.. one who confirmed this... he's 17-year-old whom I
> know from Digg and Netscape, so budget (Allowance) tends to be limited.
>
> * It's all abour Free, as in "Freedom". It's also about functionality,
> security, and so forth.

When I first tripped across linux, many years ago, I was in search of an
affordable compiler, as I could not afford to buy the Microsoft compiler
for Windows - it was too expensive.  I ended up with a complete
operating system, and was hooked on the GPL from the first moment I read
about it.  I don't understand why so many people seem to find it so hard
to comprehend.

PURGE COMPLETE.