Re: [News] Steve Ballmer Very Afraid of Linux

__/ [ 7 ] on Wednesday 31 January 2007 22:31 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Understanding Open Source technology
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Already industrial watchers are pointing to a serious showdown,
>> | which in the meantime, the Chief Executive of Microsoft Corporation,
>> | Steve Ballmer did not rule out in a recent interview in which he
>> | also explained why Microsoft announced a sweeping reorganisation
>> | of its Windows division.
>> |
>> | "We have to outrun this phenomenon" he was quoted as saying, and "
>> | ...if we let up for a minute... then that other stuff will gain"
>> | attraction.
>

> He's admitting Linux is killing  micoshaft.
> With 1 in 100 PCs at the very minimum now running Linux,
> and growing exponentially, there is not a whole lot of
> life expectancy left for micoshaft and they know it.
> A big cash crunch is looming as license numbers shrink
> and they have to resort to price hikes to generate revenue
> from customers who can't fight off the price hike.

Short term gains. Same with the buyback of the stock. The safe is being
emptied to keep up appearances. One keeps revenues up despite the fact that
customer defect (away) and the other is holding up the stock while public
investors seek greener lawns. To use an analogy, a country can use its nukes
to defeat an enemy, but new enemies will then be outrageous. Microsoft is
breaking international laws and only one (admittedly large) government will
dance to the tune of the broken gramophone... that which turned platters
into DRM garbage -- utterly useless.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes
Tasks: 121 total,   2 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie