Re: [News] The Reason Coding Open Source is Coding for Freedom

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
The REAL difference between open and closed source programming

,----[ Quote ]
| With open source programming any code written is forever owned by the
| author and that author has to right to license copies of that code
| according to their desire. With closed source programming the author
| has no ownership, no rights and no legal ability to reuse that code
| anywhere else.
`----

False. The scenario described appears often, but it is not the result of the code
licence. Rather, it is as a consequence of clauses in the employment contract that
has been agreed upon between the developer and the company he works for.

It is about bloody time that the FLOSS people (myself, logically speaking, included)
start using their brains when discussing non-technical matters, such as copyright
issues, licencing questions, and, yes, contract law and employee-employer relations.

Not that I necessarily agrees with the given companies; but this particular point has,
as I have already said, nothing to do with the licence under which the developed code
gets distributed.

-akr
(Linux-user)